Thursday, July 19, 2007

Christians With a Bad Delivery : (


This may be a harsh title above but there are some recent things I have heard a couple of our brethren say that makes me step back and say "WHOA!" Hold on a minute !
The kids were at swim lessons this morning at Harding and I was there taping their last day and then had to head out to get the Duck rolling. But some thing happened while I was there, I didn't know that it happened but it did.
As I got home Shannon told about this lady that was sitting next to my Father-in-law Bob. They were talking to each other and she was asking who he was there watching. So he pointed out Brayden and Macy and said they were his grand kids.
So she asked him where he went to church and he said First Baptist in Judsonia and she said she went to the Church of Christ. She said he should come and visit their church some time. So he told her that Shannon and I go to College Church and that they visit some times. He stated he used to attend the C of C for about 20 years and decided that wasn't where he felt he should be. So out of the blue she starts going off on him. She was quoting scriptures and said something that just kills me. "The Church of Christ is the only Church and all the rest are going to Hell!" WHAT?
That's where the title comes into play! That is not the way to go about it. It's the same exact thing I wrote about last week with the bullhorn on the street. It's not right! The Church of Christ has a bad Reputation down here with a lot of the other beliefs. Somehow our Public Relations department has made a big BOO - BOO. We didn't teach the truth in love.
I know what we believe and I believe we try to do things by what the Bible states. And she may be right, but that is not for us to decide. If we want people to come to our worship services we don't make it look like the best club on campus, we go about it by kindness, not in your face your church is going to HELL! We try to make our beliefs to show a better way by what the word of God says. Truth by His Word, NOT by what we personally think is better and where we think everybody else is going for eternity.
Thanks lady now I will never get them to go back to the Church of Christ. The example I've laid out in front of them for 9 years is shot because of one rude Christian with the wrong attitude. My father in law said that is why he left the C of C to much bickering about who's right and not enough love. I agree!
This my personal belief and if anybody wants to disagree that's fine. But we do bicker a lot about doctrine so much that a lot of Churches have lost valuable members because of it. I know a lot of Churches of Christ are going in the wrong direction down here in the South. I know of a couple down here that have voted on musical instruments in their worship. I'll save that for another blog, I'm going off track.
The Bible is vitally important in what it says and we as Christians need to follow it to it's fullest, but we can't ignore the other departments of the Church. Our reputation needs to be reconstructed in how we present our Faith to those outside our doors. They either accept it or they don't. But don't muddy the waters for my generation and others to follow, make us look like a loving Church with a strong faith and belief in the Word of God. Keep it simple and kind but don't shove it in their faces, people are very timid when it comes to religion. We want them to come in, not freak out and run the other way.
Thank You Lord for all the great examples of your love that have taught me to love and cherish you more. AMEN!

No comments: