Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Finding Ways To Give.

God is wanting us all to give till we can give no more.  This is a department I have a lot of trouble in, it's not because I don't want to do it.  It's because I don't see any opportunities to do it in my area.  Being the time of year it is there are all kinds of opportunities to give and we have.  So today I tried two times to offer something to those in need.  One chance was a chance to give to this group that I read about in a  book by author Lisa Samson.  I gave them my card and the website wouldn't take the payment.  OK! So I gave up on that.  So I went to Walgreen's to get some things and finally I found the Salvation Army guy ringing the bell.  I figured I would get some cash back from my debit card and give it when I left the store. The dude was gone and the bucket with him! I was perturbed. I'm not writing to brag, I just what to tell you about the ironic situations.

Why is it when you have some spare cash on your person and you want to give it to somebody in need they are never there?  But they are always there holding a sign when you have nothing but plastic on you.  I'm trying to figure it out. 

I have so many ideas about getting something together to help out with the needy, but I just don't know how to get others involved.  It seems nobody will get on the same page as I am on.  The past couple of nights  I have laid in bed and thought how unfair it is for me to be laying in a warm bed while there are others laying on the street sleeping and freezing to death.  How can we all do it?  I guess I am getting to the age where life is meaning more than objects of materialism.  I feel trapped in this town because I know there are needs in other bigger cities and the help is needed. 

Just recently my wife went to Philadelphia and told me how bad the poverty is there.  As they were in McDonald's a woman approached them and begged them for money or food. So they bought her lunch and it was a great act for them to do.  God talks so much in the Bible about being a servant unto those in need, and I just get a proactive feeling in my heart to get those in need some help.  I know that many homeless people have put themselves in those circumstances, but there are many who can't help being that way. Many suffer from some type of mental illness and just got thrown to the streets.  I read a story in a book that talked about a man deciding whether or not to give this guy some money.  The other guy who was with him was a former homeless person told the man the guys story.  He had been injured at his job and couldn't work any more and had no other form of income.  He became homeless and couldn't help it, the job he had was a good paying construction job.  Bad circumstances put him on the streets and made him become a beggar.

Give in some manner! That's what I tell myself all the time.  I can't solve the worlds problems all by myself, but the little I can give will make a difference somehow. I keep praying God will give me many opportunities to serve those in need. I  just need to keep my eyes open and watch who God puts in front of me and all of us.

No comments: