Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Why Am I A Christian?

Matthew 13:17 "For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."

I don't think anybody has ever asked me why I am a Christian.  I think this verse sums it up, because I want to see and hear what those disciples saw and heard.

As human beings we long to see something or somebody great in the world. We want to see the extraordinary instead of the ordinary.  We want our longings to be fulfilled.  That sums up me, I want to see the great things on this Earth.  I am a critic about everything.  Whether it be music, sports, movies or humans and the way they perform these tasks.  I critique or judge, because I want to see the best in everything.

 I would have been amazed if I would've been present at the birth of Christ.  The perfect one, God himself coming to this planet to be among us.  The way He came would have humbled me then as it does today.  The king of kings in a animal stable lying in a manger or feeding trough.  He didn't live as a king here, yet his words and love would have been overwhelming to me.  Finally, someone who could relieve us of our pain and our need for satisfaction.  To be around Christ would have been comforting.  No more questions about life because He was the answer to our life. We would've been complete from wandering about anything.  What will He say to me when I get to heaven?  Whatever it is I will never be or feel lost ever again. That's why I am a Christian!

I've learned a lot over the past couple of years about the reality of being a Christian.  I learned about judging others by not judging yet I find myself passing judgement on someone.  I don't want to do that, it's wrong.  I learned that Christianity is not a list of do and do nots.  Yet, we must live as good a life as we can. I use the measure of WWJD.  What would Jesus do in this situation?  And I find myself not indulging in those sins. I am not perfect and never will be, but it helps to know whatever I do wrong I can repent of those wrongs and continue on in living a life for Christ.  Mercy beyond measure, that's why I am a Christian!

Another world beyond ours. An eternal place that has no end, no worry, no tears, no pain, no lonliness, no disease, no loss, no being judged, no handicaps or disabilties, no financial problems and no harm.   A world where we will see things that have never entered our mind.  We've dreamed of this place and have done our best to picture it.  Whatever we have imagined will be way more than our minds could behold.  A world where our God reigns and Christ glows with great love and radiance.  Keep hoping of such beauty and grace that continues to overflow with no limit.  That's why I am a Christian! Period.

No comments: