Thursday, April 28, 2011

Finding God In The Storms Of Life

I've been thinking about the recent storms and tornadoes that just passed through our area and most of the southern states. As I watched a recent video of the tornado ripping apart Alabama on YouTube, I was in complete sadness.  It was a violent funnel that just cleared it's path the way it intended to do.  I thought about those in it's trek and how scared they all were. I just couldn't even fathom surviving anything like that.  The shock that comes with it would be the worst part of it. 

Last week we had a pretty close call like that, I actually heard the noise everybody talks about when a tornado approaches.  At 2:30 in the morning my son and I heard complete calm outside and what sounded like a large fan above our house.  It sounded like a train riding the tracks and then everything started pounding against our windows and then our house alarm went off.  We were in a panic and all five of us got up and didn't know what was going on. I was hunched over walking  through the house not knowing what might come through the windows.  Then it stopped and it started raining and thundering really bad. A few people in our neighborhood heard it and were in great shock at such a close call.

In the video of the Tuscaloosa tornado I was amazed at the noise that thundered from the funnel. I thought about the loss of life during it's swirling vengeance against the town. The cameraman was saying, "Lord Jesus help those people!" It was a great disaster for that town and the town of Villonia, Arkansas just 25 miles from our house.

I thought to myself why God would allow such a horrid event to take place? I don't think God had anything to with it.  I really have no answer to the question above. It's something I just don't understand but maybe one day when we stand before the creator he will give us all the answers we have been seeking.  All I know is God was there when it struck and God is there right now during the clean up. Those that lost their lives I hope believed in him. And now they are in a better place getting the answers to all the questions we continue to stumble over for an answer.

God is good and he is great.  Today we got a pleasant view of his peace with one of the most beautiful days I have seen in a long time. They always say, " here is the calm before the storm!" And today I thought as I sat on the deck, "Here is the calm after the storm!" We serve an amazing God. At times he can be very confusing and yet after life's storms come we always see his grace helping us solve those storms. I stand amazed, always! Thank you Lord for allowing us to show the world we can stand up against anything in our path and continue on as we our led by your mighty hand!

No comments: