Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Do You Live To Impress Others?


I'm sitting here really trying to figure out why we live to impress others.  I remember back in my early years of life that is all I remember life being about.  I'm sure during our school years we remember having to have what everbody else had.  Whether it was clothes or any other type of material possession.  We had to get it because we wanted to fit in.  We didn't want to be the only one on the outside of the ring of popularity. 

When I was little I had this neighbor kid right next door to us.  He had every Star Wars thing you could imagine.  I would get jealous because I didn't have that specific toy, yet I did have every Star Wars toy there was except this one thing.  So I would get over it because he said I could play with it as much as I wanted.  I remember in the sixth grade everybody had to have a pair of "parachute pants" to be cool.  There were all kinds of things in those days that we all had to have so we wouldn't be the misfit. I remember one winter back home I had passed by this Catholic elementary school.  All the kids had the same coat.  Almost every child had a certain type of Notre Dame coat on, they all looked like an advertisement picture for the university.  I thought in my mind how stupid is that?   Then I realized kids in my school were just the same, we all had the same clothing to impress someone.  I have a lot of friends from high school on Facebook. If I asked them about the stupid fashions we all went through to impress each other they would probably think it was all silly.  Where did  all this lead us, nowhere really! Were all still friends to this day and actually the clothes are forgotten and it really didn't matter one bit.

Living in the adult world fashion is not really a factor anymore.  It seemed we grew out of all that nonsense, but have we?  How do we do it now?  If you take a look at yourself, how are you today as an adult living to impress someone?  Obviously, it's with material possessions, but a little higher priced possessions.  Our possessions now are the cars we drive, and the house and neighborhood we live in.  To many, it states a sign of wealth and states a certain stature in life.  Don't get me wrong it's ok to have possessions that you have worked hard for, it's the flauting part of it that is wrong.  Possessions can signal to those who don't have things like this that we are untouchable, that we are better than everybody else.  It's true, it communicates to people that they are unworthy to communicate with us.  It makes others fearful of us.  When I watch the movie stars on TV and I think all the time I would never be able to talk to them or have a real conversation with them.  Because they are really untouchable,  I don't really live where they live, plus they are protected by a dozen security guards.  But then they really are real people.  That's the life they chose, we didn't choose a life of being untouchable we live in the real world.  Trust me there are people who want to talk to  people who have great wealth.  They want to feel they matter to them,  and they want to know that the "real world" is not full of untouchable rich snotty people.

Our world is a crazy one.  Satan is a demon working us hard, but in many different ways.  He makes us all feel like we are important in this world that we have a right to impress sombody and the right to pull others under our dirty rug of popularity.  It doesn't really matter to me if I impress somebody, I chose years ago to not live my life to impress others.  With me you get what you see.  I would rather get to know somebody and help those who think they are unworthy to talk to anybody feel special. I'm not saying that to impress anybody either, it's just the way I am programmed. 

I would like to see one President go and walk the streets in the roughest neighborhoods of America and shake hands with those who think they don't count.  I know Jimmy Carter has built houses for the poor through Habitat for Humanity and that is impressive.  Today I ask you to do something that is out of your comfort zone.  Go to somebody who you think might think may feel inferior to you.  A person who you think you would never speak to, maybe it's an employee that is afraid of you because you holder a higher postition.  We as the human race need to remember we are all human and God wants us all to be friends with each other. 

I write this because when I sit in Walmart and sell Medicare insurance I don't usually talk to the wealthiest people in the area.  My plans I sell are a $0 premium, so if people have money they usually don't discuss these plans with me because they can afford to not have them.  I usually get some pretty rough people talking with me and it really doesn't matter who I talk to, as long as I can meet their finacial need for affordable healthcare. This topic just kind of came to my mind today and I felt it needed to be written.  Impress somebody with your kindness and not with our wealth or power.

No comments: