Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Homeless Need Us Now!

The Homeless, it's a topic that has been on my mind for a good while.  I've always had this fear of them, not really a fear of them hurting me but a fear how to approach someone who is homeless.  A lot of times we hear people say of them that they are lazy and don't deserve anything from us, but they do. 

There is a verse in the Bible that states,
" If a man doesn't work he shall not eat!"  Which is true if a person is lazy and just wants to pan handle off people all day long.  I have come to learn the difference between a lazy person and someone who really needs help.  I read a couple of books over the past year that have really opened my eyes to why people are homeless.  These two books were written by a homeless guy and a rich white man.  They are titled "What difference do it make and Same kind of difference as me."  Two great books that I think everybody should read. 

A lot of homeless people are from an underdog status, they can't help the way they turned out.  Some are mentally ill or were brought up by bad parents or were raised in poverty and never found their way out of that upbringing.  I remember as a kid walking to Pittsburgh Pirate games there would be a line of homeless people there asking for handouts.  It was sad and I remember many just walking by and giving nothing and then I remember seeing others doing the right thing and giving something to them.  How many angels did we Pirate fans pass by that night?

I think we should all come out of our bubble and see what opportunities we are missing by serving God and helping these people out. Not just by giving money but actually coming out of our comfort zones and talking to these people one on one. 

I remember last year (and I am not bragging but it is a good story to tell) we were coming off a ramp in Little Rock and we saw a woman holding up a sign. I told my wife we need to do something, so we went to the closest restaurant we could find and bought a meal for that girl. By the time we got back she was gone.  I looked up and saw her sitting in a parking lot and when we pulled up there were 6 others just like her sitting there also.  We pulled up and I gave her the food and I just felt bad because we didn't see the others there. But one of them said, "thank you and God bless you." It brought tears to my eyes and I told them I would pray for them all. 

It changed my day, I didn't think they were skanky people or they were people who were lazy. I thought they were good people that Jesus planted there for us to do his goodwill for the day.  But I wish I could have given more, I wish I could have solved all their problems. I couldn't! 

 I pray for all those who are homeless but that is not enough.  I must come out of my bubble of comfort and go to them. If you ever need any inspiration in wanting to help those in need read these two books I mentioned above or read a book titled "Finding Calcutta" it's about the ministry of Mother Teresa.

It's time we serve and give back to God what He has lavished on us. I am writing this also to myself, I am not one to come out of my bubble of comfort. Living in the town I do there are no homeless people right in front of you, so it's hard to know where to start and who to help. I believe if we pray for God  to lead us to someone in need he will show us and send us. May God bless us in our giving!

No comments: