Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spare Tire Or Steering Wheel?


"Is Jesus your Steering wheel or your Spare Tire ?"
I read this the other day on a sign outside the Baptist Church down the street. They always have thought provoking sayings on their sign every week. I don't know where they get them from, but there usually pretty good. There must be some book these churches have, to find these little daily tid-bits of information. I might stop and ask one day.
I thought about this one in particular when I was driving by taking the kids to school. Do I use Jesus only in times of need or do I give him my praise everyday no matter what happens? It kind of hung in my mind for awhile, and I came to the conclusion that I don't use him just in emergencies. Back in my earlier life that was when I only consulted Christ on a "As Needed Basis." But as I have matured in Christ over the years I see Him as the basis for every day living. So I believe he is becoming my Steering Wheel, but I'm not quite completely off the Spare Tire Part yet!
As we go through daily life we all forget to thank the Creator and His Son for another day of life. He should be the very first thought on our mind each morning when we wake up and the last thought before we go to bed. Prayer life is important to me, it relieves all the stresses of the day. It's like when we were children and we'd ask our parents about a problem and their answer would be "It'll be OK." It would relieve us from those worries. Same thing when we pray to God it's a relief.
Build a permanent relationship with Jesus and not a conditional one. Be able to stop what you are doing and bow your head in prayer and read from His word regularly. Those are the basic keys to opening the door to a permanent relationship with our Father and His Son. Make him your Guide for life not your E R for the moment. In everything give God the glory He deserves.

No comments: