Monday, April 02, 2007

Children and Their Questions and Fears.



Somebody told me awhile back when Brayden was little that I would be asked a lot of questions as he got older. And I get a lot of questions from both him and Macy. But as Brayden gets older I get a lot of questions that I sometimes don't always have the right answer or he is too young to understand the answer. Brayden is timid about doing a lot of things where Macy is not. Siblings, yet 2 very different personalities.
Tonight we had baseball tryouts. Yes I think is totally stupid for a 7 year old to have to tryout for baseball, and come to find out I wasn't the only one to think that. But I had to talk him into playing, we just want him to be able to be around kids and build confidence in himself. So I bought him a new bat and we got him some new baseball shoes for tonight.
When he got into the car today he was so happy when he saw the new things, he said he was ready to play. But I could tell he was excited and nervous about the tryouts while standing in line. He kept asking me questions the whole time. He was worried about not hitting the ball and not playing very well. I told him I didn't get my first hit till I was about 8 years old. I told him not to worry about it but he kept asking me the same questions over and over, and it didn't bother me to answer them again. Because he wanted my confidence and reassurance to be able to handle the situation.
So he went out there and took his 3 swings and missed all three. Then they hit some balls to him and he stopped one and missed the rest. I didn't care what he did, I was proud that he went out there and did it. So he came back toward me not very excited and asked me if he did good, and I said yes. I was a little teary eyed and I told him I was proud of him no matter what he did out there. I told him I was proud that he was my son and nothing else mattered. The coaches were all lined up taking their notes of all the players and what they accomplished. All of them may not even payed any attention to him, but I did. I saw a little kid doing the best job he could. I saw a kid that is shy and fearful of going out and doing something like that. I saw a great kid not giving in to fear. I saw alot of little kids out there tonight accomplishing great things, some hit well and others did about the same as Brayden but that's OK.
I think parents push their kids to hard and so does the world. My Father-sons relationship will instill patience and time given to grow. I won't push my kids into anything they don't want to do and what they do want to do I will be behind them 100%. I want my boys to have great knowledge of God and to have confidence in themselves no matter what anybody tells them they can't accomplish. Macy on the other hand I'm not going to worry about. That child is full of confidence. Not a shy bone in her body. But when the time comes I'll be ready to answer any question she has.
Always have time to answer your children's questions no matter what. And always tell them they did a good job. Be proud to know that you have given the best answer, and if they need the answer again give it to them as many times as you can.

No comments: