Friday, September 05, 2008

Wildcat Football



It's taken me awhile to get into high school football down here in Arkansas, but I believe it has captured my attention. We are all going to the first Academy tonight and we are lucky it will be a cool night for it. I've been down here since '94 and have never really cared for high school football here. I've really missed high school football back home, it to me is the best. I miss going to Wheeling Park football games, because of the large crowds and the rivalries. The two games I miss are the John Marshall and Brooke high games they always pack the huge crowds in the thousands. You don't get that here. There are a lot of small schools and it just seems boring to me.
But since the kids attend the Academy I have really pushed myself to make it to some games. Yet there is still a lot to get used too. Academy games to me are more of a social event, like the Kentucky derby, except nobody is placing bets. I sometimes feel I am the only one watching the game. Everybody seems to walking around and talking to each other. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Unlike back home everybody there is there for the game and the bragging rights for whoever wins. Football is different down here, I've done a study.
Anyhow, the wildcats have a new coach this year and he hails originally from St. Mary's, WV so that puts a little excitement in it for me. I hope he does well! Now that we have two coaches from WV as head coaches (Dennis Rine baseball) if we could get a WV coach for the boy's basketball team we would have the perfect Tri-fecta. Go Cats!

No comments: