Tuesday, July 15, 2008

MLB All Star Game 2008



I am proud of myself tonight. I have actually watched almost an entire baseball game on TV. Which is rare, being a Pittsburgh Pirates fan. I never get to see them play unless they are playing the Astros on Fox southwest station. So I don't watch much baseball, especially when three kids are always needing your attention.
But I watched the introduction of the players and saw the aging Hall of Famers. You know you are starting to get a little older when the players you watched growing up are retired and looking older.


But I believe baseball will always be my favorite sport when it comes to tradition and the pastime of the game. But as I slowly climb the mountain of age (34) I've started to notice my attention span getting worse with baseball. I don't know if it's the slow pace of the game or it's because the Pirates are always in contention for the bottom of the cellar award in their division. I just can't seem to keep any attention at all. Whatever it is, I will always love the tradition of baseball. It's the game I played as a child growing up and I always loved going to Pirate games in Pittsburgh with my Dad.


I'm trying to compile a baseball card collection for Brayden and Cayden now, so they can have cards of some of the greats these days.But I can't get Brayden to like any type of sport at all, I don't know what's wrong with him. I was going to take him to the doctor and see why he doesn't like sports, but I think they would say I was crazy. But maybe one day he will get into the liking of sports, if not there is aways Macy and Cayden to recruit.


But if I would rate my liking of sports on a scale from 1 - 10 it would be a 50 I would break the scale. Here is a list of my all time favorite baseball players. Don Mattingly, Mike Schmidt, Andy Van Slyke, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Bill (Mad dog) Madlock, Barry Bonds (cause he played for the Pirates), Bobby Bonilla, Willie Mays, Reggie Jackson, Ken Griffey jr and Pete Rose.
Todays players: Ichiro, A-Rod, Grady Sizemore, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Freddie Sanchez, Albert Pujols, Magglio Ordonez and Jim Thome to name a few. These will be the players who the next generation will consider their Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth and Roberto Clemente.
Baseball will always have a special place in my heart, it is the sport of my uncles and cousins so I guess it just runs in our blood. Baseball will always be America's favorite pastime.

No comments: