Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween '08


I will feel just like this pumpkin after eating candy this weekend. We spent our Halloween night at our churches "Trunk or Treat". It's a nice time and really allows outsiders to see how kind Christians really can be.
I also miss trick or treating in the neighborhood though. Usually neighborhoods like River Oaks and Cloverdale are packed with ghosts and witches and parents following kids in the cars (which I think is completely stupid.) But tonight the neighborhoods were desolate. Nobody was out, it was almost depressing to see an American pastime fading. I do believe the churches holding these trunk or treats is a safer way to do it though. But I am glad I grew up in the era of traveling the neighborhood (on foot) not in a car or golf cart. I'm sorry, but that is just lazy! That to me is a great memory, Halloween was always exciting. And every one will be etched in my mind forever.
I remember on Halloween we would do our neighborhood and then head on over to our Papaw's house for more treats. There was this one house we went to that the guy handed out records to his treaters. We would get excited when we got one, but the records were worthless. They were people we had never heard of. He was a Dj at radio station so he would just pass them out anyway. Happy Halloween !

2 comments:

Sara said...

I am right there with you. I miss the home trick-or-treating. We did both this year. Our neighborhood still gets good trick-or-treaters!

Clint Singer said...

We thought about doing the neighborhood, but all our neighbors go to College church. So nobody was home.