Friday, January 09, 2009

What Is Our Agenda For Christ Today?


In my life today I don't like to just learn from one certain thing, religion or person. I have decided to not not let walls come between me and my learning. I believe we can learn from every person and religion and still contain my own beliefs. I call my learning "The spread offense." I want to to try to learn about Christ in all aspects and see what I can find through the learning of others. I want to spread my learning out and attack knowledge in many ways. I just don't want to run the ball I want to pass the ball too.
I've always felt that there was only one way to learn about Christ, and that other religions were out of the question. I will always stay with the foundations of my teaching in Christianity, but I will not shut out other religions and the possibility to learn from them. But the foundation that has been laid for me will always be there and if I read something that contradicts those teachings I won't let it change me at all.
I know there are many who will criticize me for reading a book about a Catholic saint like Mother Teresa, but I believe she had it right. The book is titled "Finding Calcutta." Really she had the heart of Christ. She had her critics and we've all had ours. I feel horrible about myself as I read it. She had no political agenda for her life purpose, she saw all people as Christ. Every poor person she helped was as if she was helping out her Savior. Many criticized her for helping the poorest of the poor. They said she did nothing to get them out of the hole they were in. But she states she did what Jesus would have done served and fed them both physically and spiritually. I believe she was a good person that was filled with the love of God and found pleasure in her work.
I thought about what my agenda was today in Christ. I couldn't think of anything to do for anybody in need. I have today off and all I feel like doing is just laying around the house and resting.
Searcy has a lot of poor people that need a lot of help, but they're not visible. We have no Salvation Army or soup kitchen. We don't have visible people homeless on the streets that you can just walk up to and give them a five dollar bill and tell them to go get something to eat. It's hard to find the poor and help them here. I know there is a way to find those in need in this area. So today I am going to sit back and think of ways to serve those in need.
If you feel the need today to serve others as Jesus served others, I ask you to sit back today where ever you are and see the life of Mother Teresa and others you know and see how they do it. The Bible states to serve because you don't know when you will be helping out an angel. I believe that rule of thumb also goes with learning too. You might know a certain person that lives a horrible life, yet you might be able to learn something from them. They might not do the things that Christ might want them to do, but yet you might learn that they do something great in serving others. None of us are perfect, but we might find something in others that we wish we could do also. There is something good that lies in all of us. Spread your your learning and see with the eyes of Christ. Also if you have a chance read this book "Finding Calcutta.'

No comments: